Re: [ga] More UDRP Proceedings

Bret, since you are an attorney, perhaps you can explain the purpose of the
"use" provision of a trademark and why the same notion is appropriate for
domain names.  IANAL, but as I see it, a trademark registration basically
blocks out any other party from using the name in a specific commercial
context and geographical area.  With only 42 classes of goods and services,
I suppose the rationale for this proviso is that sitting on a trademark
registration without using it might be detrimental to commerce in that
class of goods or services.

But domain names can be acquired for all manner of uses--one time events,
bully pulpits, sales of goods and services, self-promotion, advocacy,
student projects, graphic design.... I'd just like to get a better
understanding of the use it or lose it rationale here.  Would "hello" or
"under construction or a photograph (see Toeppen v. Panavision) constitute
use?   Who would police this?  "Continuous" use is another concern.
Servers go down; people move and re-establish their lives in new locations
with different ISPs. S--- happens.  And websites change.  One that was not
infringing five years ago may have new material that clearly crosses the
trademark infringement line.  So, I don't domain registrants merit
protection because of x years of unchallenged, continuous use, but someone
who invokes the UDRP five years down the line better have very good reason
for doing so.