Re: [ga] Clarification concerning the copyright.

On Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 10:42:01PM +0100, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> At 18:10 09.01.00 +0100, DNSO Listadmin wrote:
>
> >Clarification concerning the copyright.
> >
> >In http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc03/msg00116.html
> >Marc C. Langston writes:
> >"The work is mine, and regardless of the copyright the DNSO sees fit to
> >but at the bottom of the list pages, the work remains mine, I do not
> >surrender my copyright."
>
> note - in the IETF we've operated under the assumption that anyone who
> sends mail to a public mailing list is granting an implicit right to copy
> the message as needed for the operation of that mailing list's function,
> including the right to publish in an archive; this is a form of "copyright"
> too.
>
> I assume the same holds true for the DNSO.
>
> Another problem is the preparation of derived works; if I took Marc's
> messages and edited them together, with proper attribution of course, it is
> a "deep question" whether I have created a new work (which I have copyright
> for), a derived work (which Marc would have to give me permission to make),
> or both.
>
> In the IETF certain unfortunate incidents have resulted in explicit
> language about the right to produce derived work being inserted in all
> internet-drafts; we might get into similar problems in the DNSO.
>
> It's not an easy world...

In this particular example, I think I mentioned I'd released those
documents (the ones describing the adaptation of RROR) under the GNU
GPL v2.  It can be found here:  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

So that clears up this particular issue for my documents, but does
not address the wider question you raise.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org