Re: [ga] Clarification concerning the copyright.

At 18:10 09.01.00 +0100, DNSO Listadmin wrote:

>Clarification concerning the copyright.
>
>In http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc03/msg00116.html
>Marc C. Langston writes:
>"The work is mine, and regardless of the copyright the DNSO sees fit to
>but at the bottom of the list pages, the work remains mine, I do not
>surrender my copyright."

note - in the IETF we've operated under the assumption that anyone who
sends mail to a public mailing list is granting an implicit right to copy
the message as needed for the operation of that mailing list's function,
including the right to publish in an archive; this is a form of "copyright"
too.

I assume the same holds true for the DNSO.

Another problem is the preparation of derived works; if I took Marc's
messages and edited them together, with proper attribution of course, it is
a "deep question" whether I have created a new work (which I have copyright
for), a derived work (which Marc would have to give me permission to make),
or both.

In the IETF certain unfortunate incidents have resulted in explicit
language about the right to produce derived work being inserted in all
internet-drafts; we might get into similar problems in the DNSO.

It's not an easy world...

                           Harald A

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no