Robert's rules (Re: [ga] Blockage/delay of postings)

At 02:19 06.01.00 -0500, Joe Baptista wrote:
>Exactly Karl - and this is not the place for a censored list - we are a
>general assembly - time for roberts rules of order.

It would be interesting to attempt to conduct business on a mailing list
under Robert's Rules of Order.
Quote from http://www.constitution.org/rror/rror-07.htm#43

"Disorderly words should be taken down by the member who objects to them,
or by the secretary, and then read to the member. If he denies them, the
assembly shall decide by a vote whether they are his words or not. If a
member cannot justify the words he used, and will not suitably apologize
for using them, it is the duty of the assembly to act in the case. If the
disorderly words are of a personal nature, after each party has been heard,
and before the assembly proceeds to deliberate upon the case, both parties
to the personality should retire, it being a general rule that no member
should be present in the assembly when any matter relating to himself is
under debate."

If this is taken to mean that any member of the GA list calling another
member a liar is unsubscribed from the GA list until his words have been
debated, the GA list could become a rather quiet place.

See also rules #72 and #73, same source.

I don't believe this is appropriate for a mailing list, due to the
multistranded nature of mailing list discussions, but those who ask for
Robert's rules of order should be ready to accept the consequences.

                     Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no