Re: [ga] Re: We must move the DNSO server out of France.(was: Proof ofIdentification)

--On Tuesday, December 07, 1999 10:06 -0800 "Mark C. Langston"
<skritch@home.com> wrote:

> I believe the British parliament either has passed, or is
> about to pass, a law or laws that would make the use of strong
> encryption illegal, such that even the posession of encrypted
> documents, without the means of decrypting them, would be
> illegal.

To repeat what Kent and I have both tried to say....

    * From both a technological and legal standpoint,
    authentication and encrytion are different.

    * Nothing suggested so far on the DNSO lists requres
    encryption, nor should such suggestions be necessary.
    Encyption is the enemy of "open and transparent"

    * While regulations about encryption vary, and will probably
    continue to evolve, no country bans strong authentication
    techniques.

Now, there must be some part of "no restriction on
authentication" that is hard to understand, but, if so, would
someone explain to us what it is.

Otherwise, can we return this particular red herring to the pond?

     john