Re: [ga] Re: We must move the DNSO server out of France.(was: Proof of Identification)

On 7 December 1999, John C Klensin <klensin@mci.net> wrote:

>--On Tuesday, December 07, 1999 09:11 -0800 "Roeland M.J. Meyer"
><rmeyer@mhsc.com> wrote:
>
>> The problem with implementing PKI and web-of-trust is that
>> France is one of the few countries that do NOT allow their
>> citizenry full access to encryption technologies. Having the
>> main DNSO server in France and having it administered by a
>> french citizen prevents us all from using this technology, by
>> fiat.
>
>Roeland,
>
>To the best of my knowledge, neither France, nor any other
>country, prohibits strong authentication technologies.   Nothing
>which has been said or written here requires the use of
>encryption.
>
>Next?

I believe the British parliament either has passed, or is about to
pass, a law or laws that would make the use of strong encryption
illegal, such that even the posession of encrypted documents, without
the means of decrypting them, would be illegal.

I'd have to check to verify that, however.  As it stands right now,
that's just scuttlebutt.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org