Re: [ga] THIS FRIDAY end the nomination's time...

On 2 December 1999, Theresa Swinehart <Theresa.Swinehart@wcom.com> wrote:

>Mark,
>
>I'd suggest you use the 'refresh' key on your computer when you check the
>website (or any other websites that list archives for that matter). I
>checked the site you're complaining about, and there was a submission from
>you, dated yesterday, along with several others, so I don't understand what
>you're your claiming is broken.
>
>Theresa

Theresa -
  When I checked yesterday evening, before going to sleep (around 2400
PST, 0800 UTC), the nomination that I submitted dated
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 11:13:42 -0800
(taken directly from the headers) had not been listed as received.

That's a discrepancy of 13 hours.

Are we to expect a similar delay tomorrow, when the nomination period ends?

Why weren't we informed that the nominations were being added to the
website by hand?  How are we supposed to know who's been nominated in
a timely manner?

Who's responsible for adding the nominations to the website?

These are all questions whose answers should be readily apparent in
the procedures.  They aren't.  The use of an automated product (MHonArc)
together with a lack of any indication to the contrary forces one to
assume:

1)  The addition of nominations to the list of received nominations is
    automatic,

and

2)  The lack of addition of a known new nomination within a reasonable
period of time is an indication that something's wrong.

You see, had I *known* they were being done by hand, I never would have
brought up the delay.  But in the abense of any information along these
lines (which I will again insist should have been made known as part of
the procedures), I had to assume that something broke.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org