Re: [ga] FW from ncdnhc: GA Chair proposal from Names Council

At 10:05 AM 11/12/99 +0100, R.Gaetano@iaea.org wrote:
>[snip]
>I think that the first step is for the GA to agree on the nomination
>procedure.
>I am not really sure that the Council has to determine the nomination
>procedure: the Bylaws only give to the Council the power to elect the Chair.
>It will be best for everybody if the GA could come up with a proposal that
>could be agreed by the Council, and that could at the same time provide an
>indication of the real will of the GA. In other words, what I would like to
>avoid is another Rick White case.
>As a first step, it should be clear that for the GA Chair nomination only GA
>participants should be qualified. I don't see any rationale for having also
>the constituencies involved - I may say an obvious thing, but better to
>clear up the road in front.
> [snip]

	I propose that we use the same mechanism for putting forward names, and
demonstrating support, that we used in nominating individuals as DNSO
selections for the ICANN Board.  That approach, it seemed to me, worked
pretty well in getting names out there and providing the opportunity to
gauge popular support.  The more difficult question is how many names we
should forward to the NC.  Jonathan Miller recommended that we forward the
top five vote-getters; myself, I'd suggest forwarding the top three.
(Somebody suggested that we forward only one name.  It seems to me that
this is a nonstarter; the NC would reject it as inconsistent with their
responsibility under the bylaws to "elect the Chairman of the GA.")

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com