From: GAETANO, Roberto
Sent: Friday, 12 November 1999 10:04 AM
To: 'KathrynKL@aol.com'; ncdnhc-discuss@lyris.isoc.org
Subject: RE: [ncdnhc document for review] GA Chair proposal from Names
Council

Kathryn,

> Do you have any comments or concerns about the document being
> circulated by
> the Names council (below) for election of the GA Chair?

I do.

First of all, a minor introductory note:
The reference to Article VI-B, Section 4 seems irrelevant to me, considering
that the election of the GA Chair is covered on Article VI-B, Section 2 (j).

Now, to the point.

> The Names Council has resolved that the first elections for such Chair
> of the General Assembly will take place between the December 11th and
> the 17th of December, 1999. Candidates for this election may be
> nominated between the 26th of November 1999 and the 10th of December
> 1999.
>
> The Names Council will elect one Chair to the General
> Assembly who will
> serve for a period of one year. Afterwards, a Chair will be elected
> every year to replace the Chair whose term has expired.
>
> The Names Council hereby requests that the General Assembly
> come up with
> nomination procedures for nominating candidates for election to the
> Chair of the General Assembly, and that it submit proposals
> to the Names
> Council at [ELISABETH WHAT ADDRESS???] no later than November 19th,
> 1999.

I think that the first step is for the GA to agree on the nomination
procedure.
I am not really sure that the Council has to determine the nomination
procedure: the Bylaws only give to the Council the power to elect the Chair.

It will be best for everybody if the GA could come up with a proposal that
could be agreed by the Council, and that could at the same time provide an
indication of the real will of the GA. In other words, what I would like to
avoid is another Rick White case.

As a first step, it should be clear that for the GA Chair nomination only GA
participants should be qualified. I don't see any rationale for having also
the constituencies involved - I may say an obvious thing, but better to
clear up the road in front.

I will also post this to the GA, hope you don't mind.

Regards
Roberto