[ga-sys]

Re: [ga-sys] Providing a "Nominee" Service

on 6/29/01 10:32 PM, Patrick Corliss at patrick@quad.net.au wrote:

> I don't see the problem except the minimal cost in registration and the loss
> of value -- to Registrars -- of the whois data.  As long as it is "across
> the
> board" for all registrars, they could just adjust their prices a fraction.
>
> Best regards
> Patrick Corliss

There's another problem you have overlooked, which is the trust factor.
Anybody who relies upon a Registrar to safeguard a DN of personal value, but
is not trademarked, is asking for trouble IMHO.

Not only has NSI confirmed renewal until November 2001 of a DN I have owned
since 1998, then returned it to the pool, where it has been snapped up by
somebody else, but now the Admin, Tech and Billing contacts on two other DNs
have been replaced on the Whois database without my knowledge or consent by
Euro909, who has apparently bought out the company with whom I contracted
the services, Netpatner.co.uk. Euro90, with whom I have no prior
relationship, has now raised an invoice for unsolicited webhosting services,
which I have no intention to use, and they are refusing to answer my emails.
I imagine they can refuse to release the DNs until the invoice is paid. Add
to that Danny's latest experience with babybows.com, and there is only one
conclusion to reach. It's a mess out there.

If you think I'm now going to use nominee Registrant services, which
effectively puts my relationship with my DNs at arms length, and hands over
100% control to an operation that has been established all of 5 minutes and
may be taken over or go bust at any minute, think again. No such scheme is
going to fly until the industry has matured. I may be an individual domain
name holder, but I'm not a fool.

I answered NO to the question about nominee Registrant services on the WHois
survey for this reason.

Regards,
Joanna

--