[ga-sys]

Re: [ga-sys] Providing a "Nominee" Service

Joanna and all,

Joanna Lane wrote:

> on 6/29/01 10:32 PM, Patrick Corliss at patrick@quad.net.au wrote:
> >
> > I don't see the problem except the minimal cost in registration and the loss
> > of value -- to Registrars -- of the whois data.  As long as it is "across
> > the
> > board" for all registrars, they could just adjust their prices a fraction.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Patrick Corliss
>
> There's another problem you have overlooked, which is the trust factor.
> Anybody who relies upon a Registrar to safeguard a DN of personal value, but
> is not trademarked, is asking for trouble IMHO.

True!  Not only whether it is TM'ed or not.  In the US you must first must
show commerce on a name/potential mark before a TM can be granted.
In the case of non-commercial Domain Names that is a bit difficult to do...
So there is a huge trust factor in play here.

> Not only has NSI confirmed renewal until November 2001 of a DN I have owned
> since 1998, then returned it to the pool, where it has been snapped up by
> somebody else, but now the Admin, Tech and Billing contacts on two other DNs
> have been replaced on the Whois database without my knowledge or consent by
> Euro909, who has apparently bought out the company with whom I contracted
> the services, Netpatner.co.uk. Euro90, with whom I have no prior
> relationship, has now raised an invoice for unsolicited webhosting services,
> which I have no intention to use, and they are refusing to answer my emails.
> I imagine they can refuse to release the DNs until the invoice is paid. Add
> to that Danny's latest experience with babybows.com, and there is only one
> conclusion to reach. It's a mess out there.

  And the ICANN BoD and staff are primarily responsible for the MESS
that is out there...

> If you think I'm now going to use nominee Registrant services, which
> effectively puts my relationship with my DNs at arms length, and hands over
> 100% control to an operation that has been established all of 5 minutes and
> may be taken over or go bust at any minute, think again.

  Agreed this would be a foolish thing to do...

> No such scheme is
> going to fly until the industry has matured. I may be an individual domain
> name holder, but I'm not a fool.
>
> I answered NO to the question about nominee Registrant services on the WHois
> survey for this reason.
>
> Regards,
> Joanna

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827

This message was passed to you via the ga-sys@dnso.org list.