[ga-rules]

[ga-rules] Proposal for a Buddy Sytem for new members

Eric et al,

As Dassa has said, all societies have rules. You just cannot let the crazies
go round murdering and thieving. The problem is that our rules are made to
be applied even handedly across the board, but we are all individuals and
not only must the punishment fit the crime, it must fit the offender.

We are naive to think our rules can be anything other than unfair. To be
fair, we must have all the same components of a real life justice system in
coping with all situations. The answer is not simply to create more rules,
or to abolish them altogether.

Personally, I am more interested in prevention rather than cure. If the
minimum standards of decorum are abused, I just ignore it, or use the
filter, but the gut reaction of many, particularly new colleagues, is to
leave. I would like to see steps taken to foster good relationships with new
members and the following is one proven way of assisting that process.

The one system I do think works well in real life groups in our society is
the Buddy System, whereby those who join a school, club or firm etc., spend
the first hour, day, week, or month, finding their way around with the
assistance of a more experienced colleague, someone to whom they can refer
privately to clarify basic questions, someone the watch out for them. There
mere fact that a buddy exists would be enough to deter those who would
assassinate a new member on a first post. I would offer the Buddy System as
a volunteer program, automatically allocated from a pool of volunteer
members at the time of joining. Obviously, new members may opt-out.

Some of the issues that could be handled in this way without taking up list
time would be:-

What is the agenda for this list?
Do the rules mean blah, blah..?
How do I propose a motion?
What does that acronym mean?
Where is the White Paper?
Where can I find more information about blah?
Why has Mr. Morfin sent me 100 private emails? (sorry Jefsey, couldn't
resist)
Who is Louis Touton?
Do you think the list would be interested in discussing this issue?
etc..etc..

I would be happy to help form such a group. Given the number of new people
around here, it doesn't seem much of a committment. Any volunteers?

Regards,
Joanna

--
This message was passed to you via the ga-rules@dnso.org list.