[ga-roots]

[ga-roots] Re: ICANN Policy -- revised version

Dear Milton:

Thank you for your note. Comments interspersed below. Stuart

At 5:55 PM -0400 6/15/01, Milton Mueller wrote:
>Stuart:
>I see (and I'm sure everyone else does as well) that you have
>not addressed my question.

***I am looking for a question in your earlier posting but only can
see a series of statements. Which particular statement would you
rather phrase as a question?

You do say "We must not confuse the question of whether there is a prior
policy with the question of WHAT the policy should be". Perhaps that
is what you are referring to. And I agree with you that those two
questions should not be confused. But that does not change my view
that there is a prior policy. And incidentally, that view is
apparently shared by many, many people who have spoken -- mostly at
Stockholm -- with or written to me and thanked me for writing the
draft. And to be sure there are others who take the opposite
viewpoint.

>Reiterating your adherence to a "single authoritative
>root" does not provide any guidance as to whether new TLDs
>added to ICANN's root should or should not avoid conflict with
>TLDs in use by other roots. In either case, one could say one is
>adhering to a single, authoritative root.

****That is an interesting distinction but one which, in my view
glosses over a major point. My paper does not assert that ICANN would
purposely grant the same TLD name to one that already exists in an
alternate root. Neither, on the other hand,  did it say that it would
purposely avoid doing so. What it in effect said is that it would be
erroneous for any alternate (pseudo or otherwise) root operator to
*assume* that ICANN would necessarily avoid doing so. What the draft
effectively says is that ICANN's orderly decision process (always, of
course, subject to improvement) operating within its public trust
would not be preempted by actions taken by others operating outside
of the public trust. That is, do not assume that by creating a TLD
within an alternate root, you receive credit with ICANN's own
processes and can thereby tie ICANN's hands.

****To put it another way. ICANN has no policy asserting that it will
give credit to any TLD created outside of ICANN's processes. Which
means precisely that ICANN can give no credit to any TLD created
outside of ICANN's processes. Which is what I wrote.

*****By my reading, however, the White Paper does in fact provide
guidance on this point. It repeatedly refers to the need for
decisions about new TLDs to be coordinated in a way that is
accountable to the community (in so many words). Simply allowing any
alternate root to preempt names hardly sounds like such
accountability to me. What would stop such a root from choosing all
the nouns in Webster's and any other dictionary to preempt future
competition? Where would community accountability and coordination be
in such a case?

*****We now have interesting situations where, quite independently of
ICANN, there is conflict between most of new.net's names and names in
other alternate roots. This is the expected result of a regime where
root-zone decisions are made in an uncoordinated fashion by companies
based on their individual commercial concerns. Given the incentive
for a better-financed commercial actor to muscle aside a weaker one,
the result of this lack of coordination is name conflicts that
certainly does not make for a stable DNS.

****Perhaps the language in my draft needs to be clarified and indeed
strengthened in this regard. I'll take a look at it. Thank you for
making the point.

>But since the object of your "discussion draft" was to pre-empt
>discussion rather than to faciliitate it, I see that you are being
>quite consistent.

****That is an assertion for which I would like to see your
foundation, since the assertion is absolutely false. Once again, you
are impugning motives to me without checking with me first -- there
is no way you can know my motives unless I tell you. In fact, not
only did I expect and welcome discussion within a community that is
not known to be reticent, but I have clearly provoked it. That is no
surprise to me whatsoever. I would have been more disappointed by the
absence of discussion. And, incidentally, I have received a number of
very constructive comments on the draft, many of which I hope to
reflect in the final version.

>I agree with Brett Fausetts statement. The issue now has
>more to do with process. DNSO process has broken down
>on every serious policy issue. You have contributed to that.

***Interesting assertion, but again no foundation. (1) I am not sure
I would agree with the assertion that the DNSO process has in fact
broken down, although I am sure there is always room for improvement
as with any part of ICANN. (2) I do understand, though, that you
voted in favor of the Names Council resolution that declared that
"the Names Council considers that multiple roots are outside the
scope of the DNSO", a resolution that seems at odds with positions
you had expressed in earlier emails. Apparently you were convinced by
your colleagues.  I think you are trying to assign responsibility to
*me* for the fact that apparently you were unable to persuade your
Names Council colleagues to share your original point of view.
Perhaps *you* should take responsibility yourself for not being
sufficiently convincing.

>Let me recall, Stuart, when we first met in Washington, you
>argued that the revision of the Verisign contracts was not a
>change in policy either. You argued that you did not need the
>consent or approval of the Names Council.
>
>Fortunately, the NC ignored that and passed a resolution calling
>for changes in the agreement. Your patrons at the Commerce Dept
>and FTC seemed to agree with the NC, didn't they? That "non-policy"
>issue attracted serious attention from the US executive branch
>and is still attracting serious attention from the US Congress.
>
>Your credibility is eroding.

****Your "spin" of what transpired seriously jumbles the facts.

****The Board, of which I subsequently became a member, reviewed the
VeriSign contract revisions and concluded that they did not
constitute a policy revision. And I certainly agreed with the
majority of the Board (even though I was not a member at the time of
the Melbourne meeting, the Board implicitly reemphasized its decision
at its subsequent meeting when I was a member). The Board, however,
did ask the community, including the Names Council, for comment
during a 30-day comment period, not because it was a policy matter,
but because the Board likes to receive input from the community
whenever it can. The Names Council ignored nothing -- the NC's input
was specifically solicited in a Board resolution and was responsive
to that resolution. The NC  provided helpful comments that they
regarded as being essential to a "win-win" situation. I and other
members of the ICANN staff worked hard to incorporate as many of
those comments a possible, and subsequent negotiations (right up to
the last) resulted in most of them being incorporated into the final
agreements. The NC input was very helpful.

****In this case, the ICANN processes worked really well. I sense you
might have been happier had we gone ahead with signing the agreements
and obtaining ultimate DoC approval without incorporating any of the
NC suggestions. Then you really and justifiably could have criticized
the results.

>[childish insult deleted]

****The smiley face at the end indicated a joke. Please do not
consider it an insult. On the other hand, do you consider it mature
behavior to suggest that anyone who disagrees with you is dishonest?

--

Stuart Lynn