[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Re: ICANN Policy -- revised version

Stuart and all,

M. Stuart Lynn wrote:

> Milton, I don't think we are in fundamental disagreement about the
> significance of the White Paper.  It came at the end of a
> consensus-development process and documented the consensus that was
> reached.

  Oh really?  Where is this consensus documented?  References please...

>  That's why I used the word "codified", which I understand to
> mean the memorialization of a set of principles that have been settled.
>
> ICANN was established out of this documented consensus, which provides a
> source of ICANN's principles on the points it addresses until some
> different consensus emerges and is documented.

  Good point except that the Consensus to which you speak to here is
not in and of itself documented in any verifiable way presently.

>  The overwhelming
> consensus documented in the White Paper is that stability should be
> ICANN's first priority.

  Yes it should be.  How that is done is where the remaining questions
and considerations remain...

> [...]
> >were derived from the bottom up process.
> >
> >--MM

> >ICANN has many policies that are embodied in our charter documents
> >that have not been separately and explicitly codified in a single
> >policy document. For example, we have a policy derived from those
> >documents that commit us to further the stability of the Internet.
> >There has been no bottom-up process to codify that - except as was
> >embodied in the founding of ICANN and in the finalization of those
> >documents.
> >
> >When there are important issues on the table, I will continue to
> >summarize existing policies that may be embodied in those documents
> >and elsewhere (including those that have been explicitly stated) and
> >articulate them for the community. Particularly - as in this case -
> >when I receive enquiries as to what our policy on a given topic may
> >be. That is part of my job. This is no different than our restatement
> >of IANA policies in ICP-1.
> >
> >Articulating existing policies is very different from creating new
> >policy. That requires consensus-based approaches. And I do not think
> >any of us disagree on that.
> >
> >I think we all understand our difference of views on this subject,
> >and I doubt we will persuade each other. So it may be best to move
> >on. But I will look forward to your specific comments.
> >
> >With regards
> >Stuart
> >
> >At 9:45 AM -0700 6/15/01, Bret Fausett wrote:
> >>The merits of the relative positions aside, I am concerned about a practice
> >>of drafting papers outside ICANN's rigorous bottom-up, policy development
> >>processes, calling it an attempt to codify existing policy, and then
> >>challenging anyone to go through the rigorous bottom-up, policy development
> >>process to change it.
> >>
> >>Again, the merits of the relative positions aside, I'm sure you can
> >>appreciate the *potential* for abuse in that kind of process. At this point,
> >>two and half years into the life of ICANN, if a clear policy has not already
> >>been written somewhere (and I'm referring to more than a few references to
> >>"authoritative roots" in ICANN's foundational documents), I'm not sure it
> >>ought to be created now in the name of "existing policy." Consensus
> >>policy-making is much harder work than that.
> >  >
> >  >I'll have more on the merits of the paper separately, but the process issues
> >  >here are of concern.
> >  >
> >  >      -- Bret
> >  >
> >  >
> >  >On 6/15/01 9:17 AM, "M. Stuart Lynn" <lynn@icann.org> wrote:
> >  >

> >>   > indication of ICANN's Policy. They are ICANN's charter documents. I
> >>   > suggest you read them again. They are not very hard to understand and
> >>   > their statements with regard to an authoritative single root and to

> >>   > would like to see the current policy changed.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827