[ga-roots]

[ga-roots] Alternate Roots, Naming Systems Coming Under Fire

Hi William

I think the problem is terminology.  If there is a single "virtual" root of
all of the TLDs on all of the roots, that can be considered a single or
"unique" name space.

Obviously should there be two conflicting TLDs (say two .shops, for example)
only one can be included.  Assisting in the elimination of such conflicts is
one of the aims of the Top Level Domain Association ("TLDA").

If you refer to each root zone as a separate name space, then there may be
multiple name spaces.  However, each would be a subset of a combined set of
all name spaces.

Either way you look at it, it is clearly better to eliminate collisions.  Of
course, another view is that collisions don't really matter and they will be
eliminated by market forces.  I happen to agree with you that this is true
but see it as a messy solution which pays little regard for hurtful side
effects.  As a result I prefer a solution based on negotiation and
compromise.

I'm sorry that you think that a preference for one way over another implies
anything about the fundamental reality of the DNS.  We all know,
more-or-less, how the DNS works.  Disputes about terminology are just word
games and of little consequence in the real world.

> >> Strange, his compadres in the alt.root community on this list don't
> >> seem to agree with him.

Baiting doesn't help resolve any conflicts in the DNS it simply creates them
on the lists.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss