[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Alternate Roots, Naming Systems Coming Under Fire

Hello Patrick,

My point is that Karl's view that there is nothign wrong with 2
unique namespaces existing and giving different data for a TLD was
embraced at the time, since it eliminated the argument that was used
during ICANN's creation that a central root and one namespace was
necessary.  This view was embraced by the community who is now
floating this "inclusive namespace" concept.

> Baiting doesn't help resolve any conflicts in the DNS it simply creates them
> on the lists.

It's not baiting. It's illustrating a point that the alt.root
community can't stand behind a cohesive position.

There is a reason Karl advocates his view with regard to unique
competing namespaces.  It makes sense.  The alt.root advocates who do
not see that, and instead are pushing this "inclusive namespace" is
the only namespace type argument, are being self destructive and
counter productive to their cause.

The one namespace argument, followed to its natural conclusion, will
result in a complete and total failure of the alt.root/tld concept
from being adopted and put into wide use.

New.net has enabled itself to "somewhat" defeat the result of that
argument, but other alt.root/tld operators have not.

New.net's setup to allow ISPs to add "stub zones" into their recursive
resolvers configuration enables those ISPs to resolve those TLDs
through new.net's dns servers, without redirecting all root server
traffic from the ICANN roots.

This eliminates the hijacking scenario I was referring to when I
posted in response to Joe's message that Jeff forwarded here to this
list, and it allows ISPs to include alt.root/tlds without diverting
all their traffic from the authoritative root.

The draw back to that setup is that an ISP or network operator has to
make a decision and take actual action on adding each new TLD that
comes from namespaces outside the ICANN root.

This, of course, would not change the fact that these are private TLDs
being made available to the public, meaning that this kind of setup
would also confer no rights to inclusion or protection from
interference inside the authoritative root.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh