[ga-roots]

[ga-roots] A "Unique" Authoritative.....record classes ?

Dear All,

the discussion paper contains a paragraph, which went by rather undiscussed:

>Moreover, it should be noted that the original design of the DNS provides
>a facility for future extensions that accommodates the possibility of
>safely deploying multiple roots on the public Internet for experimental
>and other purposes. As noted in RFC 1034, the DNS includes a "class" tag
>on each resource record, which allows resource records of different
>classes to be distinguished even though they are commingled on the public
>Internet. For resource records within the standard root-server system,
>this class tag is set to "IN"; other values have been standardized for
>particular uses, including 255 possible values designated for "private
>use" that are particularly suited to experimentation.
>As described in a recent proposal within the IETF, this "class" facility
>allows an alternative DNS namespace to be operated from different root
>servers in a manner that does not interfere with the stable operation of
>the existing authoritative root-server system. Those that have deployed
>alternative roots have not used a different class designation, however,
>choosing instead to have their resource records masquerade as emanating
>from the standard root, and creating the potential for disruption of
>other's operations.

I have some understanding of DNS, but not enough about the function of this
class tag.

How would this look from a user's point of view?
Can a user choose, which class to use? Could an applet re-map from class
"IN" to another class (similarly like now other root servers are used for
alt.roots)?

Stefan