[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] How the sky might fall

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, at 20:04 [=GMT+0200], Thomas Roessler wrote:

> On 2001-06-05 01:14:33 +1000, List Admin quoted some source:
>
> >As Peter Dengate Thrush points out, it only takes a major country
> >code administrator from say, the Germany, the UK or France to take
> >its names to a liberated domain, and all the ISPs in that nation
> >would be obliged to point to the new root server. There'd be no
> >need to fiddle with your Network Control Panel - it would happen
> >without you even noticing.
>
> This is, it seems, nonsense.

It is. Anyone running a root zone can include any TLD in it, whether
the TLD asks for it or not. Of course life is easier, if the TLD tells
the root zone manager about changes in nameservers and she does not
have to find out herself. Then this can be scripted.

I think all other talk about going elsewhere for root services is bull
shit. All the ccTLDs can do, is stop paying ICANN. They cannot stop it
from including them in their root zone.