[ga-roots]

Re[2]: Why ICANN should think (Re: Re[2]: [ga-roots] RE: [ga] Can you give me some arguments, why is it a bad idea?)

At 00:50 2/06/01 -0700, William X. Walsh wrote:

> >> ICANN has that without the alt.roots.  ICANN has that by completely
> >> ignoring them.
>
> > Is that rumbling I hear? Stability? ICANN has that now? Counting you,
> > William, I think I know of about 4 or 5 other's who believe that. Access to
> > other roots IS happening, HAS been happening, WILL be happening. You know
> > this to be fact. ICANN introdused colliding TLDs and intended to do so,
> > intend to go ahead with them, and are ignoring the consequences. Many
> of the
> > other roots are trying to get rid of colliders, the opposite of what ICANN
> > is doing. Do you maintain still that ICANN is the one organization that is
> > seeking stability?
>
>There are no consequences. Stability is not threatened.
>
>There will be no dire consequences or really anything noticeable at
>all as a result of ICANN's introduction of .biz.  To be honest, no one
>but a small handful will even be effected.  That means that stability
>is not threatened.
>
>If we were talking about a TLD that was in wide use, you might have an
>argument there.
>
>But you don't currently.
>

> >> The reason is because collectively even they don't have enough
> >> visibility or use that if they were closed down completely tomorrow it
> >> would be a serious enough incident to threaten any kind of stability.
>
> > Have you seen New.net's numbers? Of course I know you have. But do you see
> > what they mean? Visibility.
>
>New.net is not an issue, as none of ICANN's new TLDs conflict with it.
>
>As such any argument about new.net and its visibility is not relevant
>to arguments about ICANN's stability or lack thereof right now.

Uhm, the argument was about the stability in the DNS. New.net (or others)
and its visibility are most relevant, I think.

--Joop--
Founder of the Cyberspace Association.
Former bootstrap of the IDNO (www.idno.org)
Developer of    The Polling Booth