[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Quotes from the Trenches

Patrick and all,

Patrick Corliss wrote:

> Hi William
>
> On Tue, 29 May 2001 03:11:19 -0700, you wrote:
>
> > I was told that the only thing they needed was to be "technically
> > right" and that they didn't need marketing or PR.  I believe a recent
> > EXACT quote from Sexton to someone else telling him the same thing was
> > "we don't need money, we have servers and a monopoly of the clues."
>
> Richard Sexton runs a root server.  There are at least a few others.  There
> is no single spokesperson for the alternate roots -- certainly not Richard
> Sexton.

  True.  And there never should be really...

> > So it seems your friends in the alt.root community don't share your
> > view.
>
> Some do, some don't.  Some even agree with you on some issues.
>
> > As long as the alt.roots can't even achieve 1% visibility (with the
> > exception of new.net, whom is considered a pariah by the other
> > alt.roots), even if you combine them, then yes, there is ONE system.
>
> You might have been right "years ago" but things have changed with the entry
> of New.Net.  Whether they are included or excluded from your calculations,
> this does not affect the principle that ICANN should not be an exclusive
> club.

  I couldn't agree more with this!

> > Until they do something to deserve recognition as anything beyond the
> > hobby that they have appeared to be (and act like) that is the simple
> > fact of life.
>
> So why has ICANN posted this new policy statement?

  I think to just make it official and to spread FUD about other
Root structures as well as registries outside ICANN's direct
influence...

> > If it is so easy to beat ICANN, Chris, then why are you wasting time
> > here and not out there doing it?  Or why aren't your alt.root friends?
>
> Aha !!  A straw man.  AFAICT Nobody said ICANN was easy to beat.
> That's because they have an unfair advantage, monopoly power !!

  ICANN has not power at all Patrick.  The Legacy Roots are under
the USG/DOC/NITA's control, not ICANN's.  ICANN has a
contractual responsibility to have the stakeholders "Consensus" on any
policies it might recommend to DOC/NTIA on technical issues that effect
the DNS, Protocols, and IP Number addressing....

> BTW you keep coming back to the same argument.
>
> You say:    The alt roots are not particularly successful.
> I say:          That's because there are anti-competitive constrants.
>
> Now what?
>
> Best regards
> Patrick Corliss
>
> --
> This message was passed to you via the ga-roots@dnso.org list.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827