[ga-roots]

[ga-roots] Quotes from the Trenches

Hi William

On Tue, 29 May 2001 03:11:19 -0700, you wrote:

> I was told that the only thing they needed was to be "technically
> right" and that they didn't need marketing or PR.  I believe a recent
> EXACT quote from Sexton to someone else telling him the same thing was
> "we don't need money, we have servers and a monopoly of the clues."

Richard Sexton runs a root server.  There are at least a few others.  There
is no single spokesperson for the alternate roots -- certainly not Richard
Sexton.

> So it seems your friends in the alt.root community don't share your
> view.

Some do, some don't.  Some even agree with you on some issues.

> As long as the alt.roots can't even achieve 1% visibility (with the
> exception of new.net, whom is considered a pariah by the other
> alt.roots), even if you combine them, then yes, there is ONE system.

You might have been right "years ago" but things have changed with the entry
of New.Net.  Whether they are included or excluded from your calculations,
this does not affect the principle that ICANN should not be an exclusive
club.

> Until they do something to deserve recognition as anything beyond the
> hobby that they have appeared to be (and act like) that is the simple
> fact of life.

So why has ICANN posted this new policy statement?

> If it is so easy to beat ICANN, Chris, then why are you wasting time
> here and not out there doing it?  Or why aren't your alt.root friends?

Aha !!  A straw man.  AFAICT Nobody said ICANN was easy to beat.
That's because they have an unfair advantage, monopoly power !!

BTW you keep coming back to the same argument.

You say:    The alt roots are not particularly successful.
I say:          That's because there are anti-competitive constrants.

Now what?

Best regards
Patrick Corliss