[ga-roots]

Re[2]: [ga-roots] Community Roots or Red Herrings)

At 10:03 AM 5/10/01 -0700, William X. Walsh wrote:

>ICANN can't develop policy prohibiting privately run alt.roots, and
>what alt.roots do is outside of the oversight of ICANN.

Sure it can. ICANN is free to develop policies and lobby all they want to
outlaw alt.roots and non-compliant DNS. It is free to create "ICANN DNS
Only" policies and sign contracts with others enforcing it.

But it's not a good idea. It's a technological form of racism that has deep
historical precedent. Making alt.roots illegal is no different than banning
specific ethnic groups from restaurants or putting up "[insert you colour
preference] Only" signs. Unfortunately, apartheid is alive and well in the
DNS. I just have a hard time accepting that people like Kent Crispin (who
really should know better) support these ideas.

Best Regards,

Simon

--
DNS is not a sacred cow that cannot be replaced by something better.