[ga-roots]

[ga-roots] Re: Oh c'mon, Kent [was: Re: Criminalization of alt roots]

Hello Patrick,

Saturday, May 05, 2001, 4:28:55 PM, Patrick Corliss wrote:

> Hi William

>> First you and the others advocating that a policy needs to be made
>> should justify the need for a policy.
>>
>> That hasn't happen.

> In your eyes, perhaps.  Anybody else can see the obvious.

Only those who advocate for alternative roots, apparently.

> If a company like New.Net can issue many domains to many people then how can
> ICANN subsequently recommend that the DoC issue those same TLDs.

Nothing ICANN can or will do can change that.  I can do it tomorrow,
as can you.  There is no need for an ICANN policy about this.  ICANN
cannot dictate what other companies do in their private businesses.

> You would have millions of people not knowing whether they were going to get
> an ICANN-approved domain name or a NEWNET-approved domain name.

I don't believe this is an issue.  I have yet to see any bona fide
proof that such a confusion does or will exist.  I seriously doubt
there will be any.

> Whether you call it "collision", "confusion" or just "tough luck", ignoring
> it is not going to help the many people who are going to be affected.

The only people crying out about being affected are those who have a
vested interest in trying to get rights to prevent ICANN from doing
what it has a right to do in the namespace it effectively controls, in
order to make THEIR alternative namespaces the only places to go for
new names.

There is nothing to do except ignore them.

> You've clearly decided to block any effort at developing a consensus-based
> policy to resolve this issue.

There will never be a "consensus-based" policy on this issue.  The
only ones who can agree are those who have a vested interest, and they
are vastly in the minority in the internet community.

Further, such a policy would be OUTSIDE of ICANN's scope.

> Like it or not, there's an issue.  Find
> anyone who says there isn't an issue.  Even Kent thinks it's "totally
> irresponsible" to be creating alternate roots and wants to make it a
> criminal offence.

Kent's extremism is hardly relevant.

So let's stop the circular logic, Patrick, it does your cause no good.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh