[ga-roots]

[ga-roots] CNNIC root (Re: Criminalization of alt roots)

Non-member submission from ["Milton Mueller" <mueller@syr.edu>]

Harald:

I was amused by the CN-NIC response. It is IDENTICAL to the way New.net
describes what they are doing. The only possible difference is that CN-NIC
describes it as an "experiment" that is limited to a smaller population,
whereas New.net is clearly aiming at a mass market.

But note: Verisign also describes their current internationalized domain
name system as a "testbed." Do you believe them? (Yes, if it doesn't work
out it was an "experiment;" if it becomes a new international de facto
standard, well...who can argue with success in the marketplace?)

I draw one important conclusion from this:

Any discussion of "alternative" or "competitive" roots needs to start with a
technically precise definition of what an alternate root is and is not. Do
you think the involved community can put aside their ideological axes long
enough to come up with one?