[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] CNNIC root (Re: Criminalization of alt roots)

At 23:44 06.05.2001 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
>Harald:
>
>I was amused by the CN-NIC response. It is IDENTICAL to the way New.net
>describes what they are doing. The only possible difference is that CN-NIC
>describes it as an "experiment" that is limited to a smaller population,
>whereas New.net is clearly aiming at a mass market.

A very important difference of presentation.
The CNNIC is (to my mind) anxious to be seen as wanting to be cooperative,
and would love nothing better than to have what they desire without having
to set up a separate root.
But if they have to do that, they want to know how it is done, and what the
consequences are - which means that they want to have run the experiment.

>But note: Verisign also describes their current internationalized domain
>name system as a "testbed." Do you believe them? (Yes, if it doesn't work
>out it was an "experiment;" if it becomes a new international de facto
>standard, well...who can argue with success in the marketplace?)

Interpreting Verisign's testbed as "preregistration in case it works" is a
quite reasonable interpretation.

>I draw one important conclusion from this:
>
>Any discussion of "alternative" or "competitive" roots needs to start with
>a technically precise definition of what an alternate root is and is not.

Yes.

>  Do you think the involved community can put aside their ideological axes
> long enough to come up with one?

My pessimist side says no....I hope I'll be proved wrong.