[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Re: Criminalization of alt roots

Hello Patrick,

Wednesday, May 02, 2001, 9:35:41 PM, Patrick Corliss wrote:

> Given that there will, at least, be confusion,

That is not a given.  Far from it.  I have yet to see anyone provide
anything credible to show this.

> would you be kind enough to
> specify why ICANN should not have a policy?

You seem to be missing a fundamental aspect of policy development.

Policies are not developed because there is no reason NOT to.  There
are developed because:

1) there is an area that has enough significance to warrant a policy
2) that current policies do not adequately address the issue
3) that the policy can be shown to solve the problem in a substantial
fashion (provided that #1 has shown there to be a problem to be
solved)
4) That the body in which the policy is being proposed is the
appropriate place for such a policy to be developed
5) That the advantages to the policy outweigh the disadvantages.

As the side proposing a policy, the burden is on you to show that ALL
5 of these requirements have been met.

> One example is the Rules of the Sea for vessels in international waters.
> This seems like a sensible provision to avoid collisions at sea.

Are you seriously trying to compare the two?

Come on back down to earth, Patrick.  We need to stick to the REAL
facts, and stop trying to find inappropriate and way off topic
analogies that do not fit in any fashion.

Stick to the DNS, Patrick.  Please.

> Perhaps it is enough that ICANN states that its policy is to do nothing.

There is no reason to state a policy to do nothing.

>> We really didn't need a new mailing list to realize that.

> There is a problem.  There should be a policy.

You have yet to prove the first one.

Until you can get consensus that a problem EXISTS, there can be no
discussion of a policy solution.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh