[ga-roots]

Re[4]: [ga-roots] Re: Criminalization of alt roots

Hello L,

Wednesday, May 02, 2001, 6:57:16 PM, L Gallegos wrote:

> And like ICANN, you are saying the same thing - that the DNS is
> separate name spaces and no one has to be concerned with duplication
> in other roots.  Time will show that to be untrue.

It takes more than that assertion to prove wrong what is clear.

And until there is something more thank assertions like that on this
issue, there is really nothing to address as far as actions ICANN
"should" take, except to do what they have already done.

The other argument I've seen tossed around in support of some
preference being given to TLDs existing independent roots is the
deference given to IOD over .web.  It is also fallacious, in that the
case of IOD is quite different, with at least a credible possibility
that IOD had been given some indication that it would have rights to a
web by IANA, despite IANA not having the authority to grant that.  It
is somewhat understandably that ICANN may give them that kind of
deference, with possible approval in the future, as a result of the
historical confusion surrounding those incidents.

There is no evidence that the issue of "collision" with an alternative
root TLD was ever taken into account (rightly so).

Namespace is not, by its very nature, a unified thing.  It is in fact
a built in part of the namespace that names may resolve differently
based on what server you query.  There is nothing to support that
there should be anything inherently different about that at the root
server level.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh