[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Re: Criminalization of alt roots

Leah and all,

  Leah is right, IMHO.  MDR decisions by the ICANN BoD and the method
used was and remains in error.  New Root structures are here, more will be
offered.  Some will survive and thrive, others will not last.  But they are here
and more to come.  If the ICANn BoD had followed RFC 1591 most if
not all of this could have been avoided.  However the ICANN BoD choose
not to follow RFC1591.  The result is, and will continue to be more
new and separate Root structures.  That's a given....  Now, what to do?
Well either ICANN and all other root structure organizations decide to
cooperate and work together to eliminate duplicate TLD's or, the
DNS will remain fragmented and become even more fragmented...

  The DNSO can play a significant role here if we are all ready to
be realistic and step up to the plate, so to speak.  If not, well ICANN
is in for a long and protracted DNS war, that nobody wants, but
survival of many business entities will depend on their own desire
for independence, choice, and market forces will eventually narrow
the field.  It is not likely that any clear winner will emerge, but all
stakeholders will have choices.  If this is a bad thing to some it is
a godsend to others...

L Gallegos wrote:

> What hard line stance, Eric?  It is a simple fact that time will show the
> error in ICANN's decision.  What are you suggesting that TLD registries
> do when ICANN decides to duplicate them?  Bend over with a sign that
> says "kick me and all the registrants?"  Shall we just say it is fine to go
> ahead and duplicate?  Should all the roots take this attitude?  What is
> right for one, is right for everyone.  That's the precedent.
>
> It is time that ICANN/DoC realize that that they are, in fact, a part of a
> much larger world than the one root or root system and find a way to
> cooperate.  It is not just .BIZ, Eric.  It is ALL TLDs and all roots in the
> issue at hand.
>
> Leah
>
> On 2 May 2001, at 20:55, Eric Dierker wrote:
>
> > I beg you not to take such a hardline stance on this matter and remain more
> > open.  We are headed at this point to a nasty war where only the user will
> > be the loser..
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >

> > L Gallegos wrote:
> >
> > > And like ICANN, you are saying the same thing - that the DNS is
> > > separate name spaces and no one has to be concerned with duplication
> > > in other roots.  Time will show that to be untrue.

> > > --
> > > This message was passed to you via the ga-roots@dnso.org list.

> This message was passed to you via the ga-roots@dnso.org list.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827