[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Capture and Diversion

On Wednesday, May 02, 2001 10:31 AM (AEST), Kristy McKee wrote:

> IMHO this is beyond ICANN's scope as Bret mentioned ealier:  the IETF is
> the place for decisions like these to happen; therefore if we do have an
> opinion I recommend we direct it in their direction.

That's an interesting observation, thank you.  If we assume that it is
ICANN's policy to comply with the technical standards as laid down by the
IETF, then this will also apply to the question of a "unique root" as
defined in the RFCs.

It would seem to me that the RFCs may be deficient if they don't properly
address the issues of mutiple roots, smart browsers, capture and diversion.
In that case, our recommendation should be for ICANN to clearly articulate
its policy.  We can then approach the whole issue from a different direction
altogether.

First, we must clarify the relationship between ICANN policy and the
standards.

Regards
Patrick Corliss