[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Capture and Diversion (was Smart Browsers)

On Wednesday, May 02, 2001 7:19 AM (AEST), Bret Fausett wrote:
> I agree with all of that, but I'm not eager for ICANN or any ICANN
committee
> (including this one) to take a position on what third-party software
> developers, not bound by ICANN consensus policies, should do with their
> products. It's well beyond the scope of ICANN's technical coordination
> function.

Hi Bret

I'm happy to draw a boundary around what we should determine is, or ought to
be, ICANN policy.  However, I'm not convinced of your argument.  Let me
explain why.

A user can type in a guess, a partial or incomplete address, click on a link
or a fully-resolvable URL in accordance with RFCs or other standards.  That
input string can then be transmitted, fudged or manipulated to resolve in a
way that the user did not expect.

As well, the data can be routed anywhere through the DNS to all sort of
name/root servers.  The string can be tampered with, or captured, anywhere
along that chain from the browser's input line onwards.  In some cases it
may have the user's implied consent.  But there may be plug-ins, MultiBinds,
anything, along the way which simply take control.

Even after the URL resolves, you are not safe.  Some websites, especially
those promoting sexual pleasures, will again take control and capture your
computer's attention (if not yours).  Sudddenly, control is switched again
and again to anywhere at all.  Your computer can even be reconfigured
without your consent.  It happens and its happened to me.

Should that sort of capture become commonplace, the whole internet will have
lost integrity.  You can type any stribg you like and have very little hope
that you will resolve, or stay resolved, to the website of your choice.

It seems to me that ICANN can't help but consider the issues of "capture"
and/or "diversion" as matters of policy.  Otherwise they will have lost
control of the whole internet.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss