[ga-org]

[ga-org] Re: ensuring 'non-commercial implicit value' in .org

  • To: ga-org@dnso.org
  • Subject: [ga-org] Re: ensuring 'non-commercial implicit value' in .org
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 04:10:44 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga-org@dnso.org

All,

  From the NCDNHC list:

===================  Copied/reposted from the NCDNHC List ==============

Duncan and all,

  Excellent response here Duncan!  I have a few remarks and comments
of my own as well (See below Duncans comments)

Pruett, Duncan wrote:

> Having not paid attention to the list all weekend, I must respond to some of
> the points raised, even though Milton has moved us onto discussion of
> consensus points:
>
> > Kent wrote:
> > If by "globally acceptable" you mean "unanimously supported" then I
> > agree, but I don't think that is a criteria that any plan will meet,
> > and hence it is not interesting.
> > As far as "globally applicable" is concerned, your belief is
> > simply not credible.
>
> My apologies for having prompted you to reply on this point. Having myself
> been heavily involved in the preparation of a proposal for the sponsored TLD
> ".union", I know that restrictions, in principle, can be "applicable". I
> should have chosen my words more carefully.
>
> As for "globally acceptable" - any definition of "non-commercial" would be
> too arbitrary, and therefore not acceptible on the basis of consensus.

  Agreed.  And this is an important and central point as it applies to
.ORG and it's future.

> don't understand consensus to mean "unanimously supported". I would opt for
> David Johnson's definition (laid out in his paper presented to the GA in
> Stockholm):
>
> "[consensus means that] almost everyone substantially impacted by a policy
> is willing to go along with it, and that opposition is so minor or
> irrational or limited to those without a substantial stake that it can
> justifiably be overridden"

  I suppose one would have to define the meaning of substantial as it
applies to stakeholders.  But otherwise this is a pretty good
definition,
or at least as good as any I have seen in some time.  However it should
be understood that without open participation of any and all
stakeholders,
which does not exist now, and the ability to Measure with a vote, it is
difficult to be able to declare any "Consensus" on any issue...

> As far as I can tell, you are the only person who now argues for a
> restrictive approach. I am willing to stand corrected.

  Well maybe not the ONLY (Dave Crocker comes to mind here) but
certainly Kent's position is in the minority.  However again a vote
needs to be taken on this issue or a resolution respective or
representative
of the dispensation of .ORG, to be sure.

> If more NCDNHC
> members support this they should perhaps come forward, in response to
> Alejandro's provocative suggestion that there may still be some mileage in
> this idea. If not, let's accept that restrictions on ".org" were discussed
> and rejected by "almost everyone".

  I can for one except this.  But to be sure, it would be best to take
a vote on this single issue regarding .ORG.

> [...]
> > talking about "marketing" the .org TLD.
>
> It's not odd that non-commercial organisations talk about it at all. On the
> contrary, this talk suggests that many in the non-commercial world have
> moved beyond a bueaucratic/gatekeeper understanding of their role. All TLD
> applicants last year had to submit business plans - the non-commercial
> applicants weren't excused this. It is clear to me that any TLD operator
> would want success, and that success comes from promotional efforts.
>
> > Kent wrote:
> > Not effectively, if it is an unrestricted TLD.  Is the registry going
> > to police 200 registrars all around the world?
>
> Although it's not clear that enforced marketing guidelines are the only way
> to do this (see Rob Courtney's comment), I don't think that "policing" is
> the correct word for this. One might imagine "post-accreditation
> enforcement" for registrars handling ".org". In other words, the registry
> operators for another TLD (eg. ".com", ".biz", ".info", ".museum" etc) might
> want to challenge a registrar which is clearly trying to sell ".org" to
> commercial entities. The ".org" registry wouldn't need to get involved,
> since the agreement NOT to target commercial registrants could be legally
> enshrined in the registrar accreditation agreement. Other registries (apart
> from the ".org" registry) would have a greater interest in policing ".org"
> marketing policies.
>
> > Alejandro wrote:
> > Marketing if anything can only be checked after the fact,
> > so it seems that this is not an alternative after all,
> > unless it is more elaborated and shown by example.
>
> I'm not sure there is a much opposition to policies being monitored "after
> the fact", as long as the policies don't involve restrictions on who can and
> can't register.
>
> Here's a suggestion for one element of a marketing policy which could be
> enforced after the fact:
>
> Every registrar would be obliged to make at least one reference to a phrase
> like ".org (the non-commercial domain)" in the sign-up procedure, to remind
> self-selecting registrants of what ".org" is about. It could be required to
> be displayed when the potential registrant has searched to see if a name is
> available under ".org". This might not be a the only way of doing it, but
> this would certainly be easily implementable, and quite enforceable.
>
> Of course, creative ideas for how to reinforce the non-commercial identity
> of ".org" need not necessarily be decided in advance. Proposals could be
> solicited, which ask candidates to come up with ways and means to reinforce
> the identity of ".org" without using restrictions. Perhaps the NCDNHC/ICANN
> should offer some room to manoeuver for the entity which finally has to run
> ".org".

> Duncan Pruett
> Information / IT Coordinator
> International Confederation of Free Trade Unions

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827
This message was passed to you via the ga-org@dnso.org list.