[ga-org]

[ga-org] Re: ensuring 'non-commercial implicit value' in .org

  • To: ga-org@dnso.org
  • Subject: [ga-org] Re: ensuring 'non-commercial implicit value' in .org
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:49:14 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga-org@dnso.org

Kent and all,

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 03:57:31PM -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
> > The clear consensus here is that people see no point
> > in evicting current registrations within ORG at all.
> >
> > One does not change that by proposing different
> > methods of restricting registrations and evicting
> > current registrants.
>
> - snip-
>
> Please note that if .org is delegated to a registry without significant
> changes in registration policies, then in fact 1) the current UDRP will
> continue with full force, and 2) it will be marketed by registrars
> independent of whatever the registry may want.  That is, regardless of
> what we may want, .org will simply be a commercial TLD in every
> important respect -- there will be no special protection whatsoever
> for non-commercial entities. If a non-profit entity tries to enforce
> restrictions by "marketing" it's effects will be obliterated by the
> for-profit registrars; if it is a for-profit entity, then a marketing
> plan with no contractual controls won't last a season.

  Interesting prediction Kent.  Maybe we will know and maybe we
won't know as to whether it is a good one...  I don't believe it
is.

> > The focus here is on the far more constructive goal of
> > marketing the ORG tld in a way that maintains and
> > enhances its identity and value as a place for non-
> > COMs.
>
> It strikes me as quite odd that non-commercial entities should be
> talking about "marketing" the .org TLD.

  Why?  I see not reason why the .ORG TLD itself cannot be marketed.

> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
> kent@songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: Jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827

This message was passed to you via the ga-org@dnso.org list.