Re: [ga] your comments

William X Walsh wrote:

"Frankly, that ICANN is refusing to carry out the functions of IANA unless
you agree to their coercion seems to me to be a failure by them to live up to
their obligations under the IANA functions.  Someone should get incidents
like this more into the public eye."

These type of incidents were discussed at great length at the Board session
in Marina del Rey.  The scribe's notes don't do true justice to the
conversation, but here they are:

Blokzijl: Negotiations use service level and change approval to get contracts
signed? Or IANA provides the best service possible to all?
Lynn: Differences in how things get expressed and what words mean. ICANN is
not signing service agreements because such agreements do not reflect what we
think the agreements need. Board has previously indicated that staff is not
to make new delegations without agreements.
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/mdr2001/archive/scribe-bod-111501b.html

The word "extortion" comes to mind when trying to characterize the way that
ICANN/IANA deals with the ccTLD community.

The ccTLDs have been tracking the performance of IANA on this page:
http://www.wwtld.org/tracking_iana_requests.html