[ga] your comments

 Laying blame is certainly not a productive use of our time,
 but if we're going to go down that road, I'm more inclined to lay the fault
 for not getting ICANN 'fully formed' at your doorstep.

Suit yourself.  But you may remember that the Board was set to adopt an
election plan for 9 At Large Directors in Cairo, which would have called
for direct election of an 18-member AL council that would then have elected
9 AL Board members.  The global democrary advocates  killed this, because
it did not involve direct elections of the Board members themselves.  Go
back and read the CDT/Common Cause/Carter Center report, explaining why
this was unacceptable and an outrage to even consider.  Their position
(unlike that of those who opposed all elections but were willing to live
with this compromise) was "my way or else," and the fact that lots of other
people thought their way was unworkable was apparently irrelevant to them,
because they just knew they were on the side of right, truth and justice.
As it turns out, this turn of events was fortunate, since we have now seen
what a mess global on-line elections would be, but do you suppose there are
any second thoughts by those who let their unwillingness to compromise lead
them down a path to (from their perspective) total failure?  Just a
thought.

Joe Sims
Jones Day Reavis & Pogue
51 Louisiana Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
Direct Phone:  1.202.879.3863
Direct Fax:  1.202.626.1747
Mobile Phone:  1.703.629.3963

The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments) contains
information that may be confidential, be protected by the attorney-client
or other applicable privileges, or constitute non-public information.  It
is intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s).  If you are
not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender by
replying to this message and then delete it from your system.  Use,
dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended
recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.