Re: [ga] The Real World

Kent, are you involved in the political or technical part of ICANN now?
In terms of how boards are choosen,  a lot depends upon what the group is.
A basic right of association is for people to act together with others, in
whatever form of internal governance they choose.  People can have
organizations with board members elected from a membership, self
perpetuating, choosen at random or just about anything they like.  When it
comes to governments, things are different, and some basic issues of
accountability have to be addressed.

If ICANN wants to morph itself into an advocacy organization, with opinions
but no power over the Internet, quite a few models of governance might be
appropriate.  If it wants to be an Internet governance organization, it is
different.  This is the guts of the issue.  What is ICANN?  If it wants to
be a global regulator, it can't organize itself like CPTech, ICANNWatch, the
Rockefeller Foundation or the Cato Institute.  It has to address the
legimacy of the process for electing or appointing board members.   The
difference goes to the regulatory or governance function.  The fact that
NGOs are advocates in governance is of course entirely appropriate in a free
society, regardless of their organizational structure.  Some are membership
based (like Public Citizen, the ACLU or Consumers Union), others are not
(Like Essential Information, CDT, etc).   CPTech is part of the Trans
Atlantic Consumer Dialogue, a group with 65 member groups. most of who are
membership based, and have millions of members, where I am the co-chair of
the IP committee.  TACD operates under tough consensus rules (any member
group can block an action), and has elections for its steering committee and
committee chairs.   It limits its membership, based upon a criteria.  TACD
isn't a government, it is a group that issues recommendations to
governments.

CPTech is an unincorporated project that Ralph and I started in 1995.
CPTech is small, with a staff that is typical two to four (not counting RN).
I am an employee of the Center for Study of Responsive Law, a non-profit
corporation created by Ralph Nader in 1968.   One of the CPTech staffers is
an employee of Essential Information.   Essential Information is in fact the
main funder of CPTech activities, based primarly on grants from the Ford and
Rockefeller Foundation, but from time to time other grants, such as one from
the Center for the Public Domain.  We don't take corporate funding.  The
office I referred to is the EI offices, which have other projects, on topics
such as tobacco control, environmental protection, banking, and various
international development projects.  I run CPTech.  I don't run the other
projects.

If CPTech wanted control over the DNS system, it would have to be organized
quite a bit differently.  ICANN wants that control.  ICANN has to accept
that it can't create governance organization that is self elected.   This
should be basic 101 stuff.  Maybe ICANN's staff is short on people who
appreciate what ICANN is trying to do, and why people are so appalled at the
"reform" proposals.

  Jamie