From: "Kent Crispin" <kent@songbird.com>
To: <ga@dnso.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 3:04 PM
Subject: Re: [ga] The Real World

: On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 04:05:14PM +0000, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
: > Kent Crispin wrote:
: >
: > >
: > >*Any* representation scheme that gave equal weight to the various users
: > >of the domain name system would end up with business getting an
: > >overwhelming majority of the votes.
: > >
: >
: > I am not so sure, because I confess that I don't have hard facts in
: > support/denial of either position, but may I note few simple things.
: >
: > a. Having the majority of the votes is one thing, not allowing an
important
: > stateholder to have any vote is a different one. The fact is that the
: > non-commercial individual users not only do not threat the consistent
: > majority of the business, but are even precluded from having a
constituency
: > and a vote.
:
: You are mixing two things: the idea of representation of the interest of
: individuals, and the idea of an individuals constituency as a practical
: construct.  There is very wide support for the former, in ICANN, and in
: the constituencies.
:
: However, there is much less support for the latter, and for good reason
: -- the various activities in that area have been essentially incoherent,
: and dominated, not by the actual interests of individuals as they
: pertain to the domain name system, but rather by the interests of
: zealots and would-be demagogues, advocates of generalized internet
: democracy, speculators, alt-root proponents, kooks, and other vocal
special
: interests that are in fact a vanishingly small proportion of the real
: individual users of the Interenet/DNS.
:
: That is, those who oppose such a constituency oppose it because all
: *practical* experience indicates that not only would such a constituency
: fail to represent the interests it proports to represent, but it
: would be essentially be an insane playground for kooks.  This is in
: almost all cases a good-faith concern about a very real problem.  It is
: one thing to have kooks yelling at you; it is a totally different thing
: to put them in the cockpit and let them fly the plane.
:
: But, indeed there are hundreds of thousands of individual domain name
: registrants, and millions of individual users of the DNS.  To date there
: has not been a creditable effort to form a constituency that really
: supports these interests, and there are fundamental economic/social
: forces that work very strongly against the formation of such a
: constituency.  These same forces work against the formation of a small
: business constituency, or indeed any constituency intended to represent
: a large number of entities each with a very small interest --
: fundamentally, it simply isn't cost effective for a rational potential
: member of such a constituency to participate.
:
: For example, many restaraunts in my area have web sites; they spend far
: more on their water and phone bills than they do on their
: domain name, and as a general rule they simply don't concern themselves
: with the governance of the water or phone systems, much less their
: domain name.
:
:
: > b. The same logic should be applied for large vs. small business. If the
: > vast majority of the (business) users of the DNS are small businesses,
: > family businesses, or even individuals that Kent claims (probably
: > rightfully so) are using the DNS for business, is the current BC really
: > representative of the business interests?
:
: Yes.  Organizations like the International Chamber of Commerce do
: represent the interests of small businesses -- local chambers of
: commerce typically have lots and lots of small businesses.  The
: registrar and registry constituencies have singnificant portions of the
: total class as members; the ISPC has members that are associations of
: ISPs; the IPC has members that are associations of intellectual property
: professionals.  By far the least representative of its class as a
: constituency is the NCC -- it has a very small number of specific
: non-profit organizations, and a large portion of them are concerned with
: a restricted set of "civil society" issues.  And the non-constituency
: members of the GA are even less representative of any particular class.
:
: > To be clear, I don't have any complaint to the
: > current BC, I am strictly an individual, non-commercial user (the kind
of
: > people that are not supposed to talk to the driver), and for me BC can
do
: > what it wants, but I don't understand why the reasonment is applied in
two
: > different ways when the ratio analysed is business vs. non-business, and
: > when the ratio is large vs. small/family/individual.
:
: I'm sorry, I can't figure out your point here.  The BC is open to small
: businesses; if they joined in any number they would be the majority of
: the members (and maybe big business would be complaining that they don't
: have sufficient representation).  But, for the reasons I outlined above,
: they don't bother to join.  If we had a separate small business
: constituency they still wouldn't join.  If we had an individuals
: constituency I predict that it would have mainly familiar faces
: as members.
:
: --
: Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
: kent@songbird.com                          lonesome."  -- Mark Twain
:
: --
: This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.
: ("unsubscribe ga" in the body of the message).
: Archives at http://www.dnso.org/archives.html
:
:
: