Re: [ga] Motion # 1

Hello,

--- "William S. Lovell" <wsl@cerebalaw.com> wrote:
> bylaws, charter, or whatever  Then there are those who wilfully
> disregard all of the above,
> acting entirely like some kind of a mob that evidently intends
> presumptiously to run by its own
> rules. I count myself among the latter.

Thanks for making that very clear. I don't think it helps your cause,
though.

> What needs to be understood here is that the tea is being tossed into
> Boston Harbor or -- with a
> nod to our good buddy Jefsey -- the farmers have their pitchforks and
> axe handles at the ready
> (an illustration I recall out of an old history book, I think), and
> (figuratively speaking) are about
> to storm the Bastille.

A true revolutionary wouldn't be staging the equivalent of a electronic
sit-in. Groups who stage a sit-in at the Dean's office, singing "Hell
no, we won't go" for days on end aren't taken seriously by the folks
who matter. The politics of subverting the purpose of the GA, for a bit
of embarrassing PR, should be opposed by the Chair. PR simply for the
sake of PR, without actually offering up concrete solutions to problems
is a waste of time, and destructive, in my view.

While we're at it, why don't we have a vote on the following topics:

1) DNSO GA Declares There's Too Much World Poverty -- rebid the UN!
2) DNSO GA Declares Pollution is a Bad Thing -- rebid the Congress!
3) DNSO GA Declares Al Gore invented the Internet -- rebid the
Presidential Vote!

The revolutionaries mentioned above didn't succeed via press releases
or votes. They offered a new order, and created momentum for their
causes and ultimately succeeded. What is your New Order? Sending it
back for a rebid tells me only that folks reject the status quo, but
offer no alternatives. While some might thrive on "chaos" and "shaking
up the establishment" just for the sake of causing disorder, they don't
begin to be taken seriously until they offer something concrete.

That's the difference between a whiner and a visionary. A whiner simply
complains and complains, and offers nothing. The whiner knows only how
to whine. The visionary offers a solution, and has the courage to take
the possible rejection of that vision. The visionary with supporters
becomes a leader. Thus, I close by simply asking:

1) What is the "New Order", i.e. the alternative vision?
2) Why not vote on #1?

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/