Re: [ga] other approaches and concerns

James Love wrote (on 2002-05-10!!!!):

>Marilyn, what evidence do you or anyone else on this list have regarding
>people stuffing the ballot box?   Can the DNSO staff post the names of
>*new*
>persons who have been added to the list of voters, to see if there is even
>one person who should not vote, or any evidence that anyone has done
>anything wrong with regard to this ballot?  They should be able to do this.
>As of yesterday, the DNSO General Assembly voting registry was  576
>entries.
>According to Alexander, it was 505 on May 5.

Please note that "yesterday" was May 9.
Hence the the voting registry increased by 71/505 = 14% in 4 days. Wow!!

>  I am one of the new persons
>registered to vote in the past weeks.

Mmmmh. Jamie is a long-time participant in the DNSO debate, mainly in the
NonCom Constituency. Not here since the beginning of the DNSO, but not
really a newcomer either.
In the last few years we elected three Chairpersons and related alternates,
passed voting rules, passed other motions, discussed and voted substantive
issues (directly related to the GA business, BTW), and he did not bother to
register to the voting registry. Interesting.
What has changed now? Two possibilities I see.
- Jamie has been struck on the way to Damascus, and converted to the GA, and
will be one of the best activists on this list in the years to come
- Jamie is specifically interested in this particular voting

Having known him personally, my opinion is "both of them".
Definitively I would expect in the future more participation from him, which
is a Good Thing for the GA, but there is beyond any doubt a specific
interest in this motion.
But then, so what?

My concern is not this vote. As I already stated, it is in practical terms
irrelevant, and can only harm the GA.
The problem is: what will happen after the vote?
Will the people that showed interest in the GA disappear as magically as
they appeared, at the rate of 14% every 4 days? Or, once turned the page,
for bad or good, could we concentrate on Domain-Name-System-related issues?
I trust Jamie in doing this. I trust much less the herds of followers.
This is why I talk about "suicide of the GA". Folks, we risk to spend the
most valuable time, the month before an ICANN meeting, debating things that,
albeit important, are not in our mission.
I can find tons of other very important Internet-related issues that we can
debate: pornography on the Net, the impact of Internet Telephony (social and
economical), features of BIND, mobile nodes in IPv6, and more. Maybe I can
propose motions on these as well! I will think about ;>)

Regards
Roberto