Re: [ga] No At-Large & no GA

On 19:24 10/05/02, Ross Wm. Rader said:
> > Petitioning the NTIA to recompete the ICANN contracts is the only
> > remaining action that can serve to protect our interests.
>
>Whose interests? Those of the GA? Yours? Individual users that expect
>nothing more from the DNS than simple resolution? Perchance, Registrants?
>
>Perhaps I didn't say this clearly enough yesterday - there was a time, not
>too long ago, when DNS policy was determined by a government and a defense
>contractor - the rest be damned as it were.
>The current "mess", to borrow a phrase from the critics, is far more
>desirable than having to appeal to the House.

This is because the USG root service is free. The USG still buys that
control. The plan was to disengage, now some Govs start questionning
why?  All the more than Lynn gave a price...

>Be aware of what you are actually proposing.

Dear Ross,
OK you are fully right. So, let stop pretend.

WXW explained the Open Root people were supporting a rebid for obscure
reasons. The Open Root people actually do not really give a damn. If they
were really to say something they would probably support the ICANN to patch
a reform, so it collapses slowly and as long as it is dying, it is harmless
and not replaced by another more dangerous oddity.

Actually we all know this is everyone's position. But no one wants to tell
it, because everyone wants to be able to claim for compensations and a the
confirmation of their ICANN's "legacy" rights, as the ccTLDs claim their
rights from Jon Postel.

No one wants a rebid which would correct the "mess quo". IPv4 revenues,
gTLDs fakes, no cosnsumer rerpesentation, frozen innovation protecting
radio, music and media revenues, TV shows, telephone, Joop's nth new
charter, etc. the slowest the ICANN dies, the best.

So long, so good, until Lynns management by surprises. ICP-3, MdR security
meeting, DoS to Karl, call for a reform, this makes a lot  .. The BoD, Joe,
Alejandro, gTLDs and Marilyn, everyone try harder  to patch the situation
(you may have noted that we do hear a lot about or from Lynn for a long: is
him under embargo? Or cooking his next "surprise"?)

The problem with this "mess quo" structuring is that we, the Internet
Participants, are deemed to be happy with nothing in it for us. @large are
self-hijacked by ALSC, Denise, Esther, Joop, Thomas ... GA is messy by
itself, and Thomas is to keep it innocuously mathematicaly messy.

But it goes too far. The mess makers must give up something. What is in the
reform for the Internet Participants? i.e; for the consumers, for the
users, for the market, for the Govs.. What Jamies says is: do not go too
far. What Danny says is stop lying, what Joanna says is mani pulte, what I
say is keep in mind digital, lingual, social, financial divides...

Calling for the Govs was the usual tactic to keep worrying people busy ...
that will not last very long.

Anyway, we did not call for them... Lynn did.
But we will call also all for them if we are forgotten. Just starting with
the USG...

Oh! BTW, what is the difference between no new TLD by the ICANN and no new
TLD by he USG, except that may be SLDs will be more legally managed?  As
you may recall Govs also are to provide protection :-) I recall a time -
under monopolies and as a Member of the ITU/T- when I created a TLD through
a 3 lines e-mail.
jfc

So the question is simple: what is the best interest of the Internet
Participants : to break Joe's mess quo

---