Re: [ga] Re: Timetable and proceedure for vote

Many apologies and this will be my last reply for the day -  I am sorry but
I should have been clearer in my response below that I think that this open
competition should be a regular thing. That the contracts should regularly
expire and then an open competition should be held for that slot. It will
keep the registrars on their toes and allow others into the mix. That being
said maybe a contract is awarded either for 4,5 or 10 years at most. But
there also in this process has to be a method of bouncing a registrar for
not providing a basic level of service.

And as I have said I am also very concerned for the procedural models for
what happens when one registrar goes belly-up. This is happening more and
more these days and well, it would cripple any number of businesses if their
registrars and/or DNS service providers happened to die out from under them.
And since it is really unlikely that the registrar would send any notice
ahead of time to the customer let alone a letter that said "Hey sucker - so
long - its been nice and next Thursday at noon we are no more...Ahahahahaha"
so the net-net is that the registrar would very likely just close up one day
and with no notice leave their customers high and dry.

And rather than to force the Registrars customers to deal with this kind of
gross negligence in civil court it would be better to put in place a
failover model that was to be implemented and some snapshot of every
registrar's maps such that if one of them dies the others could pickup the
pieces.

Just my 2 cents

Todd Glassey