Re: [ga] Point of Order

Wednesday, May 08, 2002, 9:18:45 AM, Marc Schneiders wrote:

> On Wed, 8 May 2002, at 05:59 [=GMT-0700], William X Walsh wrote:

>> Discussion on the broader subject matter is not forbidden,

> Thank you so much!

>> but the
>> DNSO GA itself cannot take actions which exceed its charter granted
>> mandate, and the chair must be limited in his actions by the charter
>> as well.

> Supposing you are right, which body could pass such a motion as that
> proposed by James Love, both in the present structure of ICANN as well as
> that suggested in the CEO's plan for reform?

I don't believe any body INSIDE ICANN can do so.

I would suggest to Jamie, that he put his
position forward in a more indepth position paper and welcome
individual GA members to sign on to it or not.  This would not make it
a statement BY the GA, but GA members would certainly be free to
support it.  Jamie has his lobbying group, they can certainly
spearhead such a statement, he doesn't need to try and use an internal
ICANN body to try and embarrass ICANN to get his point across.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>