[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

Alejandro and all,

Alejandro Pisanty - DGSCA y FQ, UNAM wrote:

> James,
> >
> > 1.  Do you believe I am making unrealistic proposals with regard to what can
> > be decentralized, and what I concede might be centralized?
>
> The degree to which you seem to think that some functions can be
> decentralized appears unrealistic to me. As a prime example, gTLD policy.

  Yes this prevailing attitude from the ICANN DoD and staff has been long
held.  From you comment/statement here that attitude seems to yet
remain.  However it happens that a broad cross section  of stakeholders
do not share your attitude or opinion in this respect, as well as with
the DNS as a whole.

> OTOH it may be you are disregarding the degree of decentralization that
> the DNSO represents from the start, though the divisions for
> decentralization there may be less geographic and more functional. It
> could also be that, not being on the receiving end of an active ccTLD yet,
> you may not have had personal experience with the degree of
> decentralization already present in the ccTLD environment. Please: I don't
> mean these statements as ad hominem, just as shortcuts for advancing
> dialogue.

  Thank you for advancing this dialog.
  Decentralization in the ccTLD community seems to be very advantageous
to the stakeholders by in large, but not in every case or with every ccTLD.
Some within the ICANN staff and BoD of course take a strongly different
view or attitude, as it seems you do.  However it is obvious that with gTLD's
decentralization as to management and stuartship has many worthwhile advantages
on both a commercial and non-commercial standpoint.  Most of these
advantages have been discussed to a very great degree and are pretty
widely known.  Perhaps some review on your part ALejandrlo would
be useful and helpful as a refresher.

> > 2.  Is there any chance at all that the Committee on Reform will consider
> > any proposals for decentralization of DNSO functions?
> >
> Yes. We are considering all proposals, particularly those sent (like
> yours) to the Committee directly and publicly. In this particular point
> the DNSO's own opinions will carry much weight.

  Byt the DNSO's own opinion, do you mean just the constituencies
own opinions or the majority of the stakeholders decided opinions?

> Yours,
>
> Alejandro Pisanty

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827