[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

Michael and all,

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:

> On Wed, 1 May 2002, Alejandro Pisanty - DGSCA y FQ, UNAM wrote:
>
> > James,
> > >
> > > 1.  Do you believe I am making unrealistic proposals with regard to what can
> > > be decentralized, and what I concede might be centralized?
> >
> > The degree to which you seem to think that some functions can be
> > decentralized appears unrealistic to me. As a prime example, gTLD policy.
>
> **Why** exactly can't this be decentralized?

  This is a good question.  Of course it has been ask without an answer
many times sense '98.

> As far as I can tell, the only functions that require centralization are
>
> 1. keeping the master list to prevent collisions;

  Even this doesn't need to be centralized with a shared root structure
or a multi root structure from a technical standpoint.

> 2. setting annual quotas for gTLD creation;

  Not does this need to be a centralized function if a shared root structure
or multi root structure is effected.

> 3. setting in motion the processes by which other bodies will choose the
> gTLDs;
> 4. (optionally) setting minimum criteria for gTLD operators e.g. adherence
> to the UDRP, data escrow, fixed legal location.
>
> 1 is easy.
>
> 2 becomes much easier if one accepts that ICANN should look only at the
> engineering issues. IF there is some number beyond which we shouldn't go,
> that imposes constraints.  But after three years, and in the face of some
> fairly strong consensus that if there's a technical limit it is very high,
> I think the burden is quite clearly on those who would leave the limit a 7
> every three years.  ICANN should not engage in the social policies of
> protecting incumbents.
>
> 3 is hard. But your committee could certainly enunciate principles for
> this, which we could then communally debate.  The key is to spread the job
> out among very different types of institutions, located in different
> places.  And the second key is to imitate Postel's brilliant strategy of
> piggybacking on the ISO codes for the ccTLDs.  In each case you should
> seek to find a list maintained by someone else for a different purpose.
> Eg. if the the goal is to allocate some gTLD creation rights to NGOs, find
> a list -- even a very partial one will do -- such as the UN's
> accreditation list.  Or concatenate several, e.g. unions, environmental
> groups, bodies accredited to international treaty organizations.
>
> The lists need not be perfect, nor need the list of lists be comprehensive
> provided that the overall variety is great (and I'd auction off a tld or
> two a year too - the market is a very efficient way to allocate scarce
> goods).
>
> 4. is basically done.
>
> Incidentally, for the avoidance of doubt, I direct your attention to my
> suggestions on how ICANN should function in pages 5-8 of
> http://www.gmu.edu/conference/itbiotech/papers/PapFroomkin.pdf
>
> And, if it needs saying, the idea the ICANN has security
> *responsibilities* is a total non-starter.  The fact that it has appointed
> a committee -- the prime evidence for this responsibility noted in the
> staff report-- is evidence of nothing other than desires for grandure.
> ICANN might have a role to play encouraging others to develop best
> practices and in disseminating them, but it has no legislative or
> executive role in security policy.
>
> --
>
> [Note: I killfile Cr*cker, Kr*spin, JW*lliams]
>
>                 Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
> A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin@law.tm
> U. Miami School of Law, P.O. Box 248087, Coral Gables, FL 33124 USA
> +1 (305) 284-4285  |  +1 (305) 284-6506 (fax)  |  http://www.law.tm
>                        -->It's cool here.<--

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827