RE: [ga] According to Mike Roberts....

Mike Roberts betrays his ignorance. A PC in a closet is exactly what it is.
Well, maybe a few PC's. It's called clustering or RAIC (redundant array of
inexpensive computers), the same idea as RAID, capacity AND
redundancy/reliability. The closet may indeed be appropriate as well, as
long as it has a couple of DS1s. Of course, each node in the cluster is the
capacity of greater than 150 VAX 11/780s (For those not familiar with hist.
of comp., 1 VAX = 1 MIPS = 1 VUP).

Except for redundancy issues, one PC has more than enough umph to run root
service for twice the entire Internet that we have today, with capacity to
spare. I've done 10 million unique page hits per day with just one such box
and g.root-servers.net ran on a single T1 for years. These are very
conservative numbers. We've had this discussion over four years ago.
zs01.root-service.net never exceeds 15% CPU utilization and it maintains a
steady 1.5Mbps throughput. It's a pair of 500Mhz Celeron powered BookPCs
(PCchips), using Linux clustering, for reliability.

You don't need big iron to do this stuff. The web-servers and database
servers place much higher demands on the systems. However, you do need
intelligent operational procedures and someone other than Forest Gump on the
switch.