RE: [ga] XTNS Launches New Domain Naming System

On 15:59 17/08/01, Harald Tveit Alvestrand said:
>>I should let the IETF and others more knowledgeable than I respond... many
>>of these terms were "coined" I believe by those who were the architects of
>>the Internet...

A bit of History to pay their due to a few gone or still active pioneers
who deserve it....

The first international public services sales of an ISO rooted host/child
network structured name was to my memory by the BundesPost and Italcable in
early falls 1978. The basic naming system was by Joe Rinde, the relations
with the operators by Bob Trehin. I decided of the semantic and of the ISO
usage which was finalized by Mike Rude a few months later on. I extended
the system to the X121 numbering scheme (hosts, teletex, telex, exp.fax,
exp.phone) of more than 40 countries from 1984 with the assistance of Neil
Sullivan, Bob McCormick and Neil Sullivan and the coordination of Jack
McDonnell (further on VP.EIA and founder of TNS Inc.). Mrs. Dominique
Marchand - now with WoldCom in France - was in charge of the international
naming coordination of this service covering at that time most of the
international relations. The global naming service was under Ms. Vida
Stafford. We shared in to the birth of national public services like
Datapac in Canada, Transpac in France, PSS in the UK, Datex-P in Germany
providing them their first international liaison with our name or the X121
standard we contribudted to actively in CCITT Group VII and III US
delegation under Earl Barberly from the State Departement.

>the first definition of the DNS "domain" concepts in the RFC series were
>in RFC 882, by Paul Mockapetris, November 1983. The first published
>definition (I believe) of the domain-like name structure is RFC 819, by
>Jon Postel and Zaw-sing Su, dated August 1982.

We interfaced the ESA (European Space Ageecy) in various places, the
Honeywell system from Vesailles (for the development of ADDA by Jacques
Ichbia), later the Internet (ARPA) through UK and several US universities
providing a coherent naming into ARPA - I am not sure of the date of the
first ARPAxxxxxx names we validated. At that time our President was Bob
Harcharick who left to create MCI Mail hiring Vint Cerf among others.

Hello, to any of them or any one I would have forgotten who would be on
this ML!

Jefsey