[ga] Re: Lacking Perspective

Hello Patrick,

Sunday, July 08, 2001, 10:10:02 PM, Patrick Corliss wrote:
>> Oh yes, this is so applicable to a situation of a small number of 1-2
>> post violations.

> We've had this debate before with you taking the opposite viewpoint.  It
> occurred when you were suspended for excess postings.  I said the list
> monitors should have discretion to allow one or two over the limit on the
> odd occasion.  As I remember, you argued that the rules needed to be
> enforced down the line as list monitors would abuse their discretation.

> A monitor taking that approach would have suspended everybody.
> Bill's point was that it didn't happen.  Yours was that it didn't need to.

> Both are equally valid points.  They are even supportive of the other.

There you go taking what I said out of context.

What I Advocated some time ago, was NOT that the list monitors enforce
sanctions against someone on the 6th post on any given day.

What I Advocated, Patrick, is that if the limit is going to be there,
rather than being something that someone gets SANCTIONED over, that
the limit should be enforced by the list server software, by rejecting
the 6th post, bouncing it back to the user, and then they can post it
on the next day if they so choose.

My answer to Bill was in response to the situation we have currently,
however, where the posting limit is considered an abuse situation,
rather than the technical limit situation I suggested.

So no, you have no debated this with me where I took a different view.

Far from it.

>> Please, the absence of ~20 messages over a period of a month would not
>> have made one iota of difference.

> No.  But the absence of a high-volume poster altogether would.
> It also might have acted as a deterrant for others who abuse us.

This presumes abuse.  I only say 3 people who could be said to be
"abusive" at all in that list, of them was only twice, and the other
has curbed his posting habits already.

That leaves one, and to be honest, I don't really care about him, and
I bet a majority of the rest of the GA doesn't either, as most just
filter his noise out anyway.  But even he comes in under the post
limit when you average the posts out over the month, and had only 2
days of "real" abuse.

>> Like Danny's, your comments lack a sense of perspective.

> To paraphrase a well-known dishonest argument:
> Comments don't lack perspective.  People lack perspective.

> The real perspective is that sublists solve the problem !!

No, they don't.  They actually make it worse.

What might help solve the problem is if our chairs resign, as they
have been unable to be effective in their roles at all, and the GA to
elect new chairs and that list monitors be appointed without their
hands being tied.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>