Re: [ga] Motion to the Chair

These results do not surprise me, although, unless you analyzed his
posts for content, you seem to have forgotten that Patrick Corliss
is the Alternate Chair and has official business to carry out that is
not to be counted in that daily limit.

I would also suggest, as I did to Patrick regarding abusive conduct,
that no sysem will work unless it is implemented and enforced.
Excluding the entry for Patrick, you have shown 25 violations,
about which, so far as we can tell, nothing was done.  There is
no point in changing any rule until it is shown that the existing
rule, when actually enforced, does not work.

Limitations are important, since otherwise (with such a prolific 5),
those who would like to become other than lurkers will continue
to see such dense banks of fog that they will think their bit would
never be seen anyway.  These dense fog banks strongly inhibit
there being any input from anyone else, and that is not a way to
reach out to the Internet community.

With respect to complaints to monitors for excessive posting, the
daily limit rule should be enforced automatically.  The person so
suspended could go use ga-full to scream and holler about rights
of free speech and all that -- of course overlooking the fact that
excessive posting in itself inhibits the right of free speech of others..

Bill Lovell

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Joops motion, and his comments regarding ostracism, essentially express the
> sentiment that something is so seriously wrong with our GA list that we must
> immediately act to correct the problem.
>
> I took it upon myself to tabulate the comments posted to our list in the last
> month.  From June 8 to July 8 there were 1021 posts to the main GA list by 62
> individuals.   Six people accounted for half of all the posts.
>
> Looking at the archives on a day-by-day basis, I merely totalled the number
> of posts per person on each day (as listed in the archives) and noted that
> all of these six individuals exceeded the daily posting limit on several
> occasions.
>
> 8 violations -- 130 posts total -- Jeff Williams -- daily posts on days of
> violation -- (9,6,6,7,6,6,7,10)
> 7 violations -- 102 posts total -- William Walsh --  daily posts on days of
> violation -- (6,6,6,7,6,6,7)
> 4 violations --  92 posts total -- Eric Dierker -- daily posts on days of
> violation -- (7,8,10,6)
> 4 violations --  69 posts total -- Jim Fleming -- daily posts on days of
> violation -- (7,8,7,13)
> 3 violations --  60 posts total -- Patrick Corliss -- daily posts on days of
> violation -- (8,7,8)
> 2 violations --  66 posts total -- Jefsey Morfin -- daily posts on days of
> violation -- (8,6)
>
> It is also reasonable to assume that a great many of the complaints forwarded
> to ga-abuse concern individuals who post prolificly.   If this is the case,
> then it further becomes reasonable to conclude that excessive postings are a
> major part of our problem with this list.
>
> Let us consider what our list would have been like if these individuals were
> on holiday during the last month.  We would have received 502 posts from 56
> people spread over 31 days (an average of one post per individual about every
> 3-4 days).
>
> I have come to the conclusion that the needs of this Assembly might best be
> served by further restricting the number of allowable daily postings in order
> to cut down on the "noise".   Perhaps a maximum of two posts per day per list
> would be sensible, if vigorously enforced by our list monitors.
>
> It is quite evident that we have a problem.  I would appreciate your comments
> on this possible solution.

Any terms or acronyms above that are not familiar
to the reader may possibly be explained at:
"WHAT IS": http://whatis.techtarget.com/
GLOSSARY: http://www.icann.org/general/glossary.htm