Re: [ga] Motion to the Chair

Leah and all assembly members,

  Good point.  I am in agreement with Leah here.  And to me anyway,
this is one of the things that shows that the illegitimate rules are
detrimental to discussion and debate, as well as not applicable
to this assembly.

L Gallegos wrote:

> Two posts a day is great for "hit and run."  Personally, I don't have
> time to spend taking notes on posts on the GA list and waiting for
> the end of the day to determine whether I should post or not, and
> then making a composite for a reply to more than one thread.  If
> that's the case, I'll go back to lurking status, which is close to
> where I am now anyway.
>
> I think you're taking it too far, Danny.
>
> Leah
>
> On 8 Jul 2001, at 22:03, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
>
> > Joops motion, and his comments regarding ostracism, essentially
> > express the sentiment that something is so seriously wrong with our GA
> > list that we must immediately act to correct the problem.
> >
> > I took it upon myself to tabulate the comments posted to our list in
> > the last month.  From June 8 to July 8 there were 1021 posts to the
> > main GA list by 62 individuals.   Six people accounted for half of all
> > the posts.
> >
> > Looking at the archives on a day-by-day basis, I merely totalled the
> > number of posts per person on each day (as listed in the archives) and
> > noted that all of these six individuals exceeded the daily posting
> > limit on several occasions.
> >
> > 8 violations -- 130 posts total -- Jeff Williams -- daily posts on
> > days of violation -- (9,6,6,7,6,6,7,10) 7 violations -- 102 posts
> > total -- William Walsh --  daily posts on days of violation --
> > (6,6,6,7,6,6,7)  4 violations --  92 posts total -- Eric Dierker --
> > daily posts on days of violation -- (7,8,10,6) 4 violations --  69
> > posts total -- Jim Fleming -- daily posts on days of violation --
> > (7,8,7,13) 3 violations --  60 posts total -- Patrick Corliss -- daily
> > posts on days of violation -- (8,7,8) 2 violations --  66 posts total
> > -- Jefsey Morfin -- daily posts on days of violation -- (8,6)
> >
> > It is also reasonable to assume that a great many of the complaints
> > forwarded to ga-abuse concern individuals who post prolificly.   If
> > this is the case, then it further becomes reasonable to conclude that
> > excessive postings are a major part of our problem with this list.
> >
> > Let us consider what our list would have been like if these
> > individuals were on holiday during the last month.  We would have
> > received 502 posts from 56 people spread over 31 days (an average of
> > one post per individual about every 3-4 days).
> >
> > I have come to the conclusion that the needs of this Assembly might
> > best be served by further restricting the number of allowable daily
> > postings in order to cut down on the "noise".   Perhaps a maximum of
> > two posts per day per list would be sensible, if vigorously enforced
> > by our list monitors.
> >
> > It is quite evident that we have a problem.  I would appreciate your
> > comments on this possible solution.
> >

> > --
> > This message was passed to you via the ga-full@dnso.org list.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827