Re: [ga] King Philip's Proclamation to the Colony

President Younger declared:

>We commoners, the "public" in "public-benefit corporation", have
>no voting rights whatsoever.

First of all, the GA is certainly NOT the >> "public" in
"public-benefit corporation" << as you like to put it. Instead, it's
where the interested part of this public should assemble for
reasonable and thoughtful debate on all kinds of issues of the DNSO
- which obviously doesn't happen.

Anyway - may I suggest an experiment?  Just try to look at the GA's
exchanges with the eyes of someone who's fairly new to but actually
interested in ICANN matters, and expects a working GA.  You'd be
extremely disappointed.

Instead of respectful debate, you'd find idiotic flame wars.

Instead of a reasonable exchange of opinions between constituencies,
you'd notice that the GA's co-chairs are apparently fighting the
NC's chair and the NC in general - that is, of course, the council
of SO representatives.

Instead of an open and intelligent debate on issues, you'd find
campaigning and procedural concerns.  (Just look at the "discussion"
on HR 2417.)

Instead of chairs who try to moderate the discussion (this is
distinct from moderating the list in the technical sense!), you'd
find chairs who contribute to the noise themselves.

While I concur that the NC doesn't do a good job in helping to
manage the GA, I have to note that the GA's current chairs are doing
the worst job ever at this.

--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/