Re: [ga] King Philip's Proclamation to the Colony

Thomas and all assembly members,

Thomas Roessler wrote:

> President Younger declared:
>
> >We commoners, the "public" in "public-benefit corporation", have
> >no voting rights whatsoever.
>
> First of all, the GA is certainly NOT the >> "public" in
> "public-benefit corporation" << as you like to put it. Instead, it's
> where the interested part of this public should assemble for
> reasonable and thoughtful debate on all kinds of issues of the DNSO
> - which obviously doesn't happen.

  I would tend to agree with you that the GA is not the "Public" in the
"Public benefit corporation"...  I would disagree that thoughtful debate
on many issues dosn'thappen within the the DNSO GA.  It does quite
regularly...

> Anyway - may I suggest an experiment?  Just try to look at the GA's
> exchanges with the eyes of someone who's fairly new to but actually
> interested in ICANN matters, and expects a working GA.  You'd be
> extremely disappointed.
>
> Instead of respectful debate, you'd find idiotic flame wars.

  Some forms of debate are often confused with "Flame Wars", that
is sometimes called "Heated Debate"....

> Instead of a reasonable exchange of opinions between constituencies,
> you'd notice that the GA's co-chairs are apparently fighting the
> NC's chair and the NC in general - that is, of course, the council
> of SO representatives.

  First the DNSO GA does not have a "Co-Chair".  Second, process
concerns that have been discussed and debated openly here on this
ML forum are legitimate debates and discussions regarding process..

> Instead of an open and intelligent debate on issues, you'd find
> campaigning and procedural concerns.  (Just look at the "discussion"
> on HR 2417.)

  H.R. 2417 is a bill that is being introduced by the US House of
Representatives.  It is and issue that contains another issue, that of
the potential TLD .KIDS.  There is naturally going to be "Heated
Debate" on this topic and the issues that it relates to and also contains

within itself...

> Instead of chairs who try to moderate the discussion (this is
> distinct from moderating the list in the technical sense!), you'd
> find chairs who contribute to the noise themselves.

  Define "Noise" in terms of the the DNSO GA please...

> While I concur that the NC doesn't do a good job in helping to
> manage the GA, I have to note that the GA's current chairs are doing
> the worst job ever at this.

  Sure there is much needed improvement in some areas.  The Rules
for instance has been identified as a very serious are of needed reform.
Management is yet another, to be sure.  Rather what I think we have going

on between the NC Chair and the GA Chair and Alt-Chair are about
who controls what and to what degree...  However the ICANN
Bylaws do cover some of this as eric  posted a historic reference
earlier about....

> --
> Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827